How to Change the Nomination/Nominee on Your Public Provident Fund (PPF) Account?

by Vinaya HS on October 24, 2011

I recently had the nomination on my Public Provident Fund (PPF) changed. The procedure is quite simple. (Note that the procedure that I described below is specific to State Bank of India because that’s where I have my PPF account but the procedure should be the same elsewhere too.)

• First, ask the Bank or Post Office where you have your PPF account for a “Change of Nomination” form. The one issued by State Bank of India is shown below (click on the image for a full-size version).

Capital_Advisor_PPF_Nomination_Form

• Fill-up the form, have it witnessed, and hand it over to the Bank or Post Office.

• Have the new nomination details recorded in the passbook (State Bank of India now issues a printed passbook for PPF accounts as well). Don’t forget this step — you should have both the nomination registration number and the nominee (and guardian, if applicable) details recorded in the passbook.

That’s about it. Your new nomination is now in effect.

Rakesh October 25, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Vinaya,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Rakesh

Vinaya H S October 26, 2011 at 6:52 AM

@Rakesh:

You’re welcome. Have you ever had to change the nomination on your PPF account?

Rakesh October 27, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Vinaya,

Yes, I did change the nomination on my PPF account few years back. Don’t remember how the form looked like but i have an entry for the nominee in my PPF passbook.

Rakesh

Jyotirmoy Dutt December 10, 2011 at 12:11 PM

In my SBI bank at Durgapur, WB, I was told that only nomination registration No. will be printed in my pass book and not the name of my nominee. I am confused; why won’t the noiminee name appear in my PPF pass book? Pl. help me.

Madhusudan Gupta January 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Hi Vinaya,

Thanks for the info.

I recently went to my bank, Bank of India, asking for a change in nomination to my PPF account. The person-in-charge of PPF affairs told me that a fees of Rs 100/- will be levied for change in nomination. Is there such a provision for charges/fees for change in nomination?

Did you have to pay any charges for change in nomination?

Thanks, Madhusudan

Vinaya HS January 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

@Madhusudan:

Not that I am aware of. Maybe you should ask them to show an official notification to this effect.

Ashwani Sharma October 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Sir,
I recently went to my bank State Bank of India, asking for a change in nomination to my PPF account. The person-in-charge of PPF affairs told me that Form PPF -E is meant filling of fresh nomination and not for change of nomination. they asked for to come up with fresh form. Pl. help.
Thanks.
Ashwani Sharma

Ashwani Sharma October 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Sir,
Thanks.
Ashwani Sharma

Nikhil Patwardhan March 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Hi Vinaya – I am planning to open a PPF account with ICICI but not sure whether they will issue passbook or not as the PPF accouny will be linked to my Internet Banking ID from where I will be able to Download the statement. In that Case if I change my nominee in future how I will come to know if its changes or not,

Thanks,