Tip Tuesdays: How to Close Your HDFC Bank Savings Account?

by Vinaya HS on August 4, 2009

I have had the unfortunate privilege of owning a HDFC Bank 3-in-1 Account (Savings, Demat — linked to Savings, and Trading). The Demat and Trading accounts were used for a grand total of two transactions. The Savings account saw a token amount being deposited, then saw the two transactions, and then saw a zero balance. To date, I have no idea why I opened this account. I closed the Trading account by handing over a simple letter at the base branch. The Demat account couldn’t be closed because it was linked to the Savings, which therefore needed to be closed first.

Here’s how you can close your HDFC Bank Savings Account:

• Reduce your account balance to zero.
  • Take a photocopy/scan of your debit card (for backup and safety).
  • Take a photocopy/scan of the first and last unused check leaves in your checkbook (for backup and safety).
  • Go to your base branch (where you opened your account).
  • Fill out an account closure form.
  • You’ll be intimated of your account closure by post. If you don’t receive any intimation within a week or two, call customer care and confirm account closure (keep your Customer ID and Phone Banking PIN handy).
  • Tear-up your unused check leaves, debit card, and any other leftovers.

Any balance leftover in the account after closure will be returned via. demand draft. Uncredited interest amount, if any, will be accounted for in this reimbursement.

Here’s a pictorial view of the end of my HDFC Bank Savings Account.

HDFC_Bank_Savings_Account

Tip Tuesdays is my initiative to share practical personal finance tips — every Tuesday. I’d be delighted if you could share a tip or two from your own experiences. Drop a comment to submit your tip. And, as always, do spread the word if you find this useful.

Shilpa August 4, 2009 at 1:29 PM

No scissors this time? Your hands should have made it to the picture instead. :-P
Anyway, how many other accounts (of different kinds) do you still own? May be you can start evening classes on closing bank accounts. :-P :-P

Vinaya H S August 4, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Good catch! I missed including the scissors.

And these accounts are a burden of the past S.

Shilpa August 4, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Oh! And btw, we trust you completely. You don’t have to give us pictorial evidence every single time :)
No, I am not complaining – pictures are always welcome, adds colour to your blog. Just letting you know.

Manjunath E August 11, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Hi people, I will tell my friend’s experience in closing his HDFC bank A/C, simple, he left ZERO balance in his savings A/C and dint do any transactions for over 6 months and his A/C was deleted……….. ;-)
Cheers

Kirit Vora September 28, 2009 at 1:47 PM

In case Bankers wish to ensure that Fake Indian Currency Notes are not being handled at their counters or ATM, the Banks should sincerely deliberate on and give due consideration for deploying effective and 100 % accurate Automatic Desk Top Fake Currency Notes Detector instate of Desk Top Note Sorters which have been not compatible at Bank branches for having other than Detection functions as basic functions and detection of fake not being secondary and inaccurate.

There have been no accurate Desk Top Sorters available on the globs which can been fitted inbuilt on the ATMs for Back office uses of filling and refilling notes for maintaining stock of notes in the ATM machine for ensuring continuity of withdrawal service to the public without issuing Fake Indian Currency Notes.

Most of the Banks have hired private agencies for refilling genuine notes to ensure no fake note being issued from ATM. The reasons of issuance of fake notes from the ATM probably could be the involvement of human elements either from within the Banks or from the outside agencies.

The investment in such 100 % accurate Automatic Desk Top Fake Currency Notes Detector can be recovered in terms of avoiding losses and hassles of much complicated legal formalities involving large number of legal agencies as also for avoiding situations of loosing goodwill in the eyes of general public at large on account of Fake Indian Currency Notes being handle erroneously or by human dishonesty at different level.

Paradigm EXC 6700 –I, have emerged as 100% Accurate Automatic Desk Top Fake Currency Notes Detector. Bankers should invariably refer to http://www.paradigmcashsystems.com and they sure will get much awaited solutions for serving nation by detecting fake notes that are likely to be handled intentionally or un intentionally by involved human elements.

Hate HDFC December 6, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Good Info on closing account. I opened my savings a/c, Demat a/c with HDFC when I was in India…later I moved to USA and still have those account active. Can you advise how can I close those from US?

Ajay December 8, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Its been a long time vinaya. No posts from you ?

Aashish January 18, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I am also planning to do same, any idea what to do with Credit Card

Biswaranjan Dash July 2, 2010 at 11:40 PM

hi!!!
I have a salary account in HDFC bank,branch-Jharsuguda, Orissa. I am currently in Bangalore. I would like to know if I can close my bank account at Jharsuguda by visiting any of the branches in the city or do I have to visit the base branch to file the closure. Please reply ASAP.

Regards,
Biswaranjan Dash

Web Designing & SEO Hyderabad July 13, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Good Info on closing account.

ANOOP GANGWARI July 20, 2010 at 5:17 PM

close the account no. 05831000013963
i am anoop gangwari . my saving account 05831000013963, in your hdfc bank , EP-17, Old railway Road, Sadar Bazar, Gurgaon .
I want to close the above metion account number. becauce bank is extra charges in debit the my account .but i am maintain the quaterly balance every quateely,
i had requested on 13 july 2010, but not responce till date. please action Immediately,I await for your responce , Please you are also requested to close the my account no. 05831000013963.

Thanking You
With Warm Regards
Anoop Gangwari
8010432010

Kalavathy August 30, 2010 at 3:57 PM

hi

I have a salary account in HDFC Bank, branch madipakkam.. within a one year i didnt do any transactions… my PF amount will be credited Rs.2170 but the bank will debit the AQB charges for Rs.807 and Rs.876 but i dont know why the bank will debit that amount… How to credit this amount in my account… and also i want to close the account… is there any possible to close the account in anyother branches….

Anonymous September 21, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Dear Sir/Madam,
I have seving account with your HDFC Bank/Daman Branch since last two year ,but i m very regret to inform you that i have to sifted now other city that way i am not operating my seving account so kindly close my Seving account and demat account with immediate effect.
My Bank Account no- 01301000070705
Name of Payal Prashant Desai.

If any query regarding this so pls feel free to contact below Mob No- 08000747381

Regards/ Payal Prashant Desai

Anonymous September 28, 2010 at 6:39 PM

This is ridiculous.
Guys this is just a blog post. You cant close your accounts from here.
Goto the bank branch and place a request there or call up Customer Care.
You might get help there.

I used to wonder how phishing mails work. Now i understand how. People are very ignorant about where to place what information.

Meenakshi December 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM

But my question is what if you had a big amount in your account just before closing it.
So that amount earns a good amount of interest. so what would happen that amount.

Thanks!!
Meenakshi

nishant singh February 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Great man just to see tore pages of this sick bank…

it is one of the sickest bank in india along with ICICI

simply hate this bank
hope it goes down soon

Rohit March 12, 2011 at 8:50 AM

thanks, today i decides to close my saving a/c of hdfc…. thanks

Raj April 9, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Hi,
Thanks… I have seen complaints from many with regard to HDFC banking..
not good for a savings account at all.. they require an AQB of Rs.10K which is 10 times more than many other banks…… who also provide the same features as HDFC..

I am on the process of closing my account…

RK

Mahendrapal Singh Khanna April 21, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I opened a saving bank account with HDFC Bank and got the KIT. I did not operate it for a month and due to CASH CRUNCH I was forced to get it closed after a month. I furnisehd signed account closure FORM with the concerned branch and agreed to charging of requisite charges for its closure. TODAY IS THE SIXTH day but yet I have not recieved any response in spite of visiting thrice.
How much time it would take, please advice.
Thanx.

Joe Kidd June 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I once had a Savings Account with Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) through my employer. Once I shifted my job, I naively emptied the account to zero balance and left it. About 6 years later I got a Manhattan credit card (Manhattan is a venture being run by SCB). When I registered for online access I noticed that it was automatically linked to my old Savings account and the account had a negative balance of about Rs3500. On contacting the bank, they said that since the PAN number was the same, it was my account. Luckily on requesting them they wrote off the amount and closed the account after I gave a letter in writing for the same.

The moral of the story is that it is always better to get the account closed rather than just emptying its contents and assuming that it will get closed on its own.

The biggest problem is that now that CIBIL (the credit bureau in India) is collecting data on all defaults etc, you could end up getting a black-mark in your name just because you got ‘lazy’ or tried to save a Rs.100 closing charge.

Anil Balu Jadhav July 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Dear Sir,

close the account no. 02391140097609

i am Anil Balu Jadhav my saving account 02391140097609, in your hdfc bank , Branch Powai Mumbai
please action Immediately,I await for your responce , Please you are also requested to close the my account no.02391140097609,

Regards ,
Anil

Mahendra July 25, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Thanks for sharing this useful info . I could not agree more with you.

Anoop October 23, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Thanks for Share this information.

Anonymous October 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Anil great work
Keep it up

shailendrajoshi November 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I share the views of other account holderws of hdfc it is simply unimaginalby as to how
rbi allows pprivate banks to fleeced gthe custgomers like an hything in the name of
service charges public

moon December 25, 2011 at 1:16 AM

I too had the misfortune of opening an HDFC account and then moved to US. But for everything they need me to come to their branch, even third party transfers. I have had a Citibank account for over 5 years now and have never had to go to their branch. Even to close HDFC account, i need to go to their branch, my scanned signatures along with my ID copy does not work for them. Its a complete mess.

azad ali chauhan December 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM

myself azad ali chauhan a/c-3121050020578 in HDFC bank vijaynagar bangalore branch …. i need to close this a/c…. b’coz i left bangalore in 2009 … i had been sended letter 3 times but they till now not given any rasponse …

azad ali chauhan December 27, 2011 at 10:01 PM

very very bad bank of india

Anonymous February 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Kindly delete all the bank account no info posts, will be gr8 help for these people.

Anonymous February 23, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Never open A/C in b anks like HDFC. Its purely business. Even if the account holder does not go to bank to deposit money, transction charges will be levied. Its true. Its not possible for the account holders to go to bank always. No bank levies charges if the 3rd party deposits money in the bank, if it is at Mother branch I mean the branch where a/c was opened. I lost thousands as transction charges which were made at mother branch. Its not banking but business with the money of customers. I inform all hdfc custormers to close down their accounts which is safe and good.

Rao February 23, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Rahul March 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Hi.
Ho0w much do they charge on closing the saving account.
Will they charge all the previous AQB charges .

Ravindra Dudhagara May 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM

HDFC Bank ma A/C kholavayaj nahi tamara A/C mathi ket ketlo charge lagade che.tamari belense ziro the jay tiya sudhi tamone pan jan pan karta nathi aana karta amari co-operative bank sari ke tamne phone to kare.

Prashant May 22, 2012 at 3:42 PM

cool job u did with the torn litter .. thanks for the info

Reshma June 29, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I had HDFC salary a/c with my former company. Now they have started deducting money from that a/c for not maintaining minimum balance (I guess, it got converted to Savings a/c). My question is, if I take out all the money and leave that a/c unsed without closing it, will there be any problem? I heard that we have to pay Rs. 500 to close the a/c which I don’t want to do.
Any advise would be appreciable. Thanks

Reshma June 29, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I had HDFC salary a/c with my former company. Now they have started deducting money from that a/c for not maintaining minimum balance (I guess, it got converted to Savings a/c). My question is, if I take out all the money and leave that a/c unused without closing it, will there be any problem? I heard that we have to pay Rs. 500 to close the a/c which I don’t want to do.
Any advise would be appreciable. Thanks

Ritesh Kumar August 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Respected Sir
Please confirm me of Account closing procedure .on urgent base due to Our Acount balance Deduct Every month Rs 293

Anurag Chauhan November 27, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Hi Vinaya,

Just one question, Can I close my account from a branch other than from where I have opened it.

I had a salary account in Pune, but as I have moved to NCR now, I just want to close it down. I have no time and money to travel to Pune just to close account.

I have been on the floor of HDFC lately but they said you have to “transfer” the account first and then close it.

R.S.V.P.

Vinaya HS November 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

@Anurag Chauhan –

You’d think that with Core Banking Systems all of this should be a breeze. But the Bank would certainly try its best to put obstacles in your path.

I suggest that you demand to talk to the local Branch Manager to sort things out. Ask them to give that “transfer and close statement” in writing and say that you will cross verify that with the Banking Ombudsman.

Should do the trick. :-)

lakshmanrao December 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Dear all,

I had a salary account in hdfc.Now I left the job and checked with hdfc.They asked me to maintain Rs.10000/- as minimum balance.Hence I decided to close my debit and credit card as they are penalising every month without my notice.

Regards
Lakshmanrao

vineet mishra February 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM

my account is permanent is per month 300rs is cut in my account please close

vineet mishra February 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM

please my ac no 23581000002056

neha gundre May 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM

i had open an account(3-in-1) i closed my trading,but while closing demat account they told me to pay 900/- for demat charges & thus i cant even close my savings account .so, i want to know how can i close this damn accnt without paying their damn awful charges.because i used dat acct for 1st year which was free but i stop using it once my free year got over.so why this damn awful charges for not using it.my free year got over in mar2013,and its been only 2 months now, so what shall i do to close this damn account.should i shout at the manager or request her to close it. help.bcoz i dnt like to keep unfinished business.

Nitin June 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM

My old salary account with HDFC changed itself to saving account couple of years back. Since I couldn’t maintain the minimum amount I stopped using it for more than an year. I assumed that unused accounts would auto close. My question is will this effect my credit score as I would like to be eligible for taking loans in the future. How much would HDFC charge me for not using the account for an year

lokesh July 8, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Iam holding account HDFC SB account from 9 years and Demat Account from 4years, without Informing monthly deducting AMB Charges Rs 393/-, Mutual Fund account charges Rs 112 /- from Past two years.
Whenever draw cash from ATM receive transaction Message, but these buggers are not intimate (email, message ) account holders to Maintain AMB and without informing account holders deducting charges, its totally looting Customer money,

Nitendra August 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I need to close my saving bank account with HDFC as i am not satisfy with the service as well as customer care support.

Spark August 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM

hi
I have not maintained Annual quarterly balance for past 1 year, Can i close the HDFC savings account? or is there any procedure to close it?(have to pay the penalty)

vikas tyagi December 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM

hi to all i am also facing the same issue with the hdfc demat account i got the mail that you have to pay an amount of 28000 i have never used the demat account so please suggest me what to do

regards