Useless Services: Vodafone Astrology Alerts — When The Company Needs The Alerts More Than You Do

by Vinaya HS on January 5, 2008

in Business & Management,India Advertising Blog

I think Vodafone, as a company, desperately needs these astrology alerts more than you do. Here’s a possible list of astrology alerts Vodafone would receive:

• You will continue to irritate your customers if you run this advertisement again today. PS: Not that you care two hoots for that.

• You will lose a lot of customers in the real world tomorrow. PS: Not that you care two hoots for that.

• You will continue to burn cash if you run this advertisement again today. PS: It’s the shareholders’ money anyway.

• [Having burnt the cash,] You will complain about falling revenues in the next quarter. PS: Damn those market[ing] forces.

• You will beat that mutt in the elevator today. PS: That mutt wasn’t your idea anyway. And pink? WTF mate?

And finally,

• You are using one useless service right now. PS: Amen!

Can you think of more?

Raj January 5, 2008 at 9:44 AM

No matter how useless the service might be, the advert is really good :)

Vinaya HS January 5, 2008 at 9:59 AM

Window dressing. Is that a good thing?

Raj January 5, 2008 at 10:40 PM

As long as you don’t subscribe to the service, I don’t see why you can’t enjoy the ad.

Vinaya HS January 6, 2008 at 11:20 AM

You need to look at the bigger picture mate — even as a neutral spectator.

Anoop January 18, 2008 at 7:03 AM

This is another great way of investing money into another lame thing called astrology. We indian’s have to admit that we are weak minded by nature, I have lived in a foreign country for almost 3 years now, I can’t see a scam and alerts coming to my mobile here like these bullshet astrology alerts,

I really wonder only why Indian’s are bogged down by astrology, i.e. why is that movement of star’s and planets only affect indian’s and not others..Not to criticize it, but I can’t see my manager who is an Englishman being affected by stars and planets, rather no foreigner would believe in it.

U gotta give credit to vodafone mate, coz they have done a great analysis about Indian public’s mentality and invested in something which they believe would make profits for their company..

Its we public who are mindless & invest in these.. Clearly shows they are laying a trap for us and we are falling in it..

Vijaya K January 19, 2008 at 4:16 PM

I wouldn’t blame Vodafone for this ad, in fact I would appreciate their biz tactics! They have done good study of this society and capitalizing on it! One has to have some brains in his/her head to subscribe to that service. After all, they are not alone in this game; there are so many! Take any magazine, tune to any radio/TV channels, you will find those. So, why get annoyed only with Vodafone? Ignorance is bliss, in such cases. :)

kapslock February 16, 2008 at 2:32 AM

Who made you a business consultant Vijaya? With absolutely zero knowledge of the background, objetive or results of an exercise, you claim to paint a neutral picture :) i’d really like to see the balance sheets of the companies you consult with – if this is your approach – they’ll either already be in the red or fighting hard to stay out of the red (despite ur best efforts)! and btw, if you didn’t already realise, I really like those Vodafone commercials