Lame Advice: What’s The Worst Equity Investing Advice You Have Heard?

by Vinaya HS on October 30, 2007

in Finance

Thanks for visiting Capital Advisor. I frequently update this blog to cover various topics on personal finance such as investment strategies, financial products that you should buy and ones that you really should stay away from, financial calculators, emerging themes such as early retirement and financial independence, and much more. You can Subscribe through Email and receive new articles directly in your Inbox or you can Subscribe through the RSS Feed and receive new articles in your feed reader.

In a bull equity market, human beings conjure magical investment formulae. Here’s the worst equity investing advice I have heard:

Your exposure — in percentage terms — to equity investments should be 100 less your current age. So if you are a 27-year old, your exposure to equity instruments should be 100 – 27 = 73%, with the remaining 27% in debt instruments.

Source: Leading personal finance magazines published in India.

Advice is cheap. Following them is quite expensive.




Thanks for reading this article. I'd love to hear your opinion. Please use the comments section below to share your thoughts. I frequently write new articles that also cover several other aspects of personal finance including credit cards, financial goals, health insurance, income tax, life insurance, mutual funds, retirement planning, and much more. You can Subscribe through Email and receive new articles directly in your Inbox or you can Subscribe through the RSS Feed and receive new articles in your feed reader.

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Pradeep Mishra November 14, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Hmm, I have heard of this formula as well.
Well its both right and wrong in a sense, how you probably took it..

What the publisher said in the article : 100 – 27 = 73
money – age = money

My take aways from the “cheap” advice:
The figure 100 (%) is not 100 % of your over all networth.
Its the amount you want to invest. Mind you this “investment amt” can be any where from 10% – 30% of your take home, monthly. Also this balance figure 73% is a Max exposure based on your risk personality profile.
The balance (if i din hear him wrong) wasnt whole debt, but MF and debt. Usually an average risk-averse person (of the said age) likes to invest 35 – 45 % in equity, 50-55% MF and balance (5-10%) in debt.
(for more details go to http://www.icicidirect.com/personal finance
you may also want to take the self – risk orientation check)

Well, all this apart from your home expence (~25% of your take home), EMIs (30-40% of take home).

See.. now it sant look that bad :)

Previous post:

Next post: