Adhyatma Chintane – Issue #16: The Meaning of the Word “Vasudeva”

by Vinaya HS on August 6, 2007

in Spirituality

Today we will learn the meaning of the word Vasudeva. This is one of the most beautiful meanings I have learnt so far.

Vasu means “Vasanthi Asmin Sarvani Bhutani ithi” i.e. in whom all beings reside and “Vasanthi ayam dehe ithi” i.e. He who resides in all jiivas.

Deva means “Divu kreda ithi” i.e. for whom the acts of creation, sustenance, and destruction are mere play.

So, Vasucha Devasha Vasudevaha. He is both Vasu and Deva, so he is Vasudeva.

Feel free to offer your suggestion or correct any mistake in the comments section.

Naham Kartha Harih Kartha

Note:

For newcomers, Adhyatma Chintane is a weekly column by my school friend R, where he discusses all things spiritual, in readily understandable tidbits. The purpose is to spread awareness about our culture and tradition, which is increasingly becoming a distant memory. A new issue will be delivered to your inbox/feed reader every Monday morning.

For previous issues, hit the search box.

Goutham August 6, 2007 at 4:49 PM

ಶರಣು ಸ್ವಾಮಿಗಳಿಗೆ,

ತಮ್ಮ ಆಧ್ಯಾತ್ಮ ಚಿಂತನೆಯ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಆಸಕ್ತಿಯೇನೊ ಇದೆ, ಆದರೆ ಇದರಿಂದ ನನ್ನ ಜೀವನವೇನು ಬದಲಾಗುವ ಹಾಗೆ ಕಾಣೋದಿಲ್ಲ. ನಮ್ಮ ದೈನಂದಿನ ಬದುಕಿಗೆ ಉಪಯುಕ್ತ ವಾದದ್ದು ಏನಾದರು ಹೇಳು ಶಿವ. ಉಧ್ಧಟತನವೆನೆಸಿದ್ದಲ್ಲಿ ಕ್ಷಮೆಯಿರಲಿ.

ನಿನ್ನ ಸ್ನೇಹಿತ.
ಗೌತಮ್.

R August 7, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Good feedback, but last few learnings were applicable for general life which u can apply for your day-today life
but anyway i will try and in-corporate ur feedback Thanks

Littilgurl September 3, 2007 at 6:31 PM
Muralitharan Doraisamy March 22, 2008 at 7:10 PM

To the Editor,

I am currently a postgrad student at Murdoch Uni in Perth.

And am researching the sanskrit meaning or perhaps the true meaning of the word Vasudeva. It seems one view by Norbert Klaes in Conscience and Consciousness, maintains that Vasudeva simply means, the best and highest of men and does not mean a god or avatar.

But from your explanation or definition, it clearly states the opposite, meaning that, “Vasudeva” would mean a God or and Avatar.

Please shed some light on this subject.

Thanks.

Murali.

sunil January 26, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Hi sunil here from infosys,

Im more interested in spiritual aspects and adhyatmith chintane… need to know more about it…. can some1 suggest me on this .

Thank you.. my email address sunilanil1437279@aol.com

Sagnik February 11, 2010 at 4:39 PM

That’s an exquisite explanation, my friend! Surely the most scientific and beautiful meaning of Vasudeva that I’ve come across.
I’d be honoured if we can keep in touch.

Tam namami Harim Param!

Alka Bhardwaj November 8, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Thanks dear, i was searching for this meaning of Vasudeva. As i haven’t Sanskrit background i found many difficulties to find real meaning of Sanskrit words. But even then i tried my best to know real knowledge of VEDA. The meaning of VASU as you described is also described as it is, in VEDA. But i have little doubt about Dev meaning. As i know DEV stand for “BHADAR PURSH, SUBH GUN”.

Thanks dear thanks a lot.

JAYAKUMAR THALAPALLI January 29, 2011 at 5:48 AM

MOST REMARKABLE COMMENTS! LET ME EXPLAIN WHY I START WITH THIS NOTE OF APPRECIATION IS BECAUSE I WAS A TOTAL GOD-FEARING GIRLS FOLLOWING FUN LOVING YOUNG ‘MAN’ OF 17 YEARS AROUND 321 DAYS(D.O.B-29/05/1967) ON APRIL 14, 1985 ON A VISHU DAY(NEW YEAR FOR MALAYALIS) AND AFTER THE CUSTOMARY GETTING UP IN THE MORNING SEEING GOD AND PAYING RESPECTS TO ELDERS AND MOST IMPORTANTLY AND EASILY THE MOST GLAMOROUS PART GETTING MONEY FROM THE ELDERS WE DO NOT GO BACK TO BED NORMALLY JUST SIT IN THE SIT-OUT AND TALK TO OUR FAMILY MEMBERS. THIS IS A NORMAL FORMAT ON THAT AUSPICIOUS DAY AND WHICH WE TOO DID.

SUDDENLY AMIDST THIS I WAS PULLED FROM MY SEAT AND MADE ME TO GO TO MY POOJA ROOM AND I DISTINCTLY REMEMBER I PULLED A BOOK WHICH I HAVE NEVERSEEN BEFORE AND THAT IS BHAGWAD GITA AND MADE ME STAND THERE AND READ GITA (HOLY BOOK OF HINDUS).

AFTER A WHILE MY MOTHER CAME IN SEARCH OF ME AND FOUND ME IN THIS ROOM AND TO HER SURPRISE A BOOK ( A FAR CRY FOR ME THOSE DAYS WITH A BOOK IN MY HAND). SHE ASKED ME WHAT IS HAPPENING? I TOLD HER THAT I AM READING GITA. SHE EXCLAIMED YOU TOO READING AND THAT TOO GITA! GOOD, WHY DON’T YOU SIT AND READ…I SAID OKAY. NO PROBLEM(S)!.
A MONTH PASSED WITH TOTAL DEDICATION OF PAYING OBEISANCE TO GOD AND VIRTUUALLY TOUCH-ME-NOT FOR NON-VEGETARIANS (JOKE OF THE CENTURY FOR MY BROTHERS,HAHAHA)

AND ON MAY16,1985 I WENT TO HAIRCUT AND PRAYED TO GOD AND SAT DOWN FOR PRAYING AND THAT’S WHEN MY ELDER BROTHER (GLOBAL HEAD OF A LEADING FIRM NOW FOR TWO POSTS!) ASKED ME TO HELP HIM. WHICH I THOUGHT IS CORRECT!

I USED TO WEAR THE PIECE OF CLOTH WRAPPED AROUND YOUR WAIST THOSE DAYS WHICH IS CALLED LUNGI IN LOCAL LANGUAGE, WHICH UNLEASHED EVERYTIME AS I BENT TO HELP HIM TO LIFT A SOFA FROM ONE ROOM TO ANOTHER ROOM. BROTHER’S PATIENCE VANISHED AND WE ENTERED INTO A TUSSLE AND LATER AFTER AN ALTERCATION OF SORTS A BIT FOR SOMETIME I WENT ON A TRANCE….

THIS IS THE TIME I COULD HEAR A VAGUE VOICE AND FROM A VAGUE IMAGE SAYING THAT MY DEAREST DEVOTEE IS SUFFERING AND I WOULD GO TO HELP HIM AND SHORTLY THERE WAS A BRIGHT DIVINE LIGHT SHOWERED ON ME WHICH GAVE ME THE DIVINE EYES TO SEE VASUDEVA AND DEVI ON A THRONE WHICH IS WITHOUT ANY SUPPORT WHICH MEANS ONLY A PIECE OF SEAT WITHOUT THE SUPPORTING STRINGS AND CLOUDS OF SOULS MOVING AS A SEA OF MILK (WHICH HE LATER TOLD AS ALL THE GREAT SOULS SPREADING PLEASANT FRAGRANCE TO HIM AND AROUND HIM) AND ON THE THRONE VASUDEVA AND DEVI WAS SITTING WITH A CROWN ON THEIR HEAD AND HE WAS NOT BLUE IN COLOR AND EVEN DEVI (BOTH) WAS FAIR IN COLOR. UNFORGETTABLE SCENE OF DIVINITY AND SEEING THE CREATOR IN HIS MOST RARE DARSHAN FACE TO FACE FOR THE FIRST TIME BY ME AND I DO NOT ABOUT OTHERS!

FIFTEEN YARS AND MANY CHANGES HAPPENED WHEN HE TOLD ME IN OCTOBER 12, 2000 THAT HE HAS FINALLY APPROVED ME AS A ‘GRADUATE’ TO FIT ENOUGH TO TALK TO OTHERS ABOUT HIM. DURING THIS TIME HE TAUGHT ME ALMOST ALL RELIGIOUS MAJOR BOOKS AND MANY OTHER THINGS OF TRUTH. EVEN MADE ME A RESEARCHER TOO! IN REFLECTIVE SCIENCE WITH PHENOMENAL RESULTS IN THIS RESEARCH ENDEAVOR.

HE TOLD ME ON THAT DAY THAT I AM INDEED JESUS THE SECOND COMING. BEFORE THIS BIRTH I WAS JESUS THE NAZARETH, BEFORE THAT I WAS ARJUNA, BEFORE I WAS BHARATHAN, BEFORE OR ABOUVE ALL THIS TRUTH I AM KUMARA OF HINDUISM. THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD AND HE IS ALLAH, VASUDEVA, JESUS AND ALL THAT IS SEEN AND UNSEEN IN THIS WORLD.
MY BROTHER IS LORD AYYAPPA AND MY ELDER BROTHER IS VIGNESWARA. MY DAD AND MOM ARE ADAM AND EVE…MY FATHER IS INFACT SHANKAR HIMSELF! WHO HAS COME TO THIS WORLD AS ADAM AND HAVE BEEN A REGULAR VISITOR EVERSINCE.

HE TOLD ME VASUDEVA IS EXACTLY THE SAME MEANING YOU HAD SAID. ALL IN ONE PACKAGE AND ONE-STOP MARKET TO ATTAIN ASTALAKSHMI SOWBHAGYA (PROSPERITY OF ALL SORTS) AND VASUDEVA IS INDEED INNERMOST SELF OR PURUSHOTAMA (ALMIGHTY SOUL). I BELIEVE I AM AUTHORISED BY VASUDEVA TO WRITE THIS TRUTH ABOUT ME WHICH I HAVE TOLD TO ONLY FEW PEOPLE IN MY LIFE.

MY EMAIL ID IS JAY.SEEMA1967@GMAIL.COM, JK_SEEMA@YAHOO.IN, MY MOBILE NUMBER IS +91-9789817726, +91-9994539293, +91-44-43531104.

ALL PRAISE BE TO VASUDEVA! WITH ALL OUR LIMITATIONS OF LIITLE SANCTITY, SOME RUSH IN OUR BLOOD AND LUST FROM OUR FLESH WE UNDERSTAND VASUDEVA.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL IN THE NAME OF ALLAH ALIAS VASUDEVA ALIAS ALMIGHTY OR FATHER IN HEAVEN

JESUS SECOND COMING.

web development new york August 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM

What’s up, all is going well here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that’s
really excellent, keep up writing.