Why You Shouldn’t Subscribe to BSNL’s CellOne Post-Paid Cellular Service?

by Vinaya HS on May 15, 2007

in The Bangalore Blog

Here’s a quick list of why nots.

1. The signal strength and quality are simply too poor to have any meaningful conversation. On numerous occasions, the cellphone display suggests that the signal strength is excellent but you are either having a one-way conversation or the call simply gets dropped.
  2. I haven’t been able to send a single SMS so far. The BSNL help-desk always gives me the same message centre number – it never works.
  3. Although I received the SIM deposit-free (being a broadband customer), BSNL has undocumented ways of recovering an equivalent amount of money. In the first bill I was shocked to see that they collect one month’s deposit in advance. In April I am actually paying the rental for May as well.
  4. A call to the help-desk confirmed the above behavior. The quality of the help-desk is several notches below when compared to AirTel’s or Hutch’s help-desk.
  5. Roaming is a nightmare. Call quality is almost non-existent.

BSNL’s CellOne service sucks.

Having tried all the GSM service providers, I have come to the conclusion that AirTel offers the best service in Karnataka. I am switching over to AirTel again.

Vinod Krishna Bhat May 15, 2007 at 9:24 AM

Thanks for confirming what I hitherto only suspected :-)

Goutham May 15, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Oh you did not exp the “Preity Zinta” effect…with CellOne ???

I know signal strength is poor, but not as poor as u have exp’d. Definitely manageable. But Yes, Airtel is the best that I have seen in terms of coverage and customer svc. But their spam rate is extremely high. I will stick to bsnl, no spam calls / sms. Getting disconnected 2ce per day is ok rather than having to answer 10 unknown dragons.

Somehow, in India, ppl have to satisfy themselves with sub-standard service everywhere, isn’t it? Really sad.

Vinaya HS May 15, 2007 at 10:28 PM

“Unknown Dragons.” That’s a great term!

Anoop May 16, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Oye..BSNL na baitheeya! nanunna 4 years engineering 1.5 yrs Masters vodsiddhe BSNL..:-(…haha

Rahul June 8, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I have a BSNL postpaid connect in mahrastra, pune.
This is really true Dude, BSNL Collects adavance rentals for their postpaid customers.

I was also shocked to see rentals for the month of June being collected in may bill itself. This is ridiculous.
Also the signal is pathetic. The signal strength keeps fluctuating. sometimes when i check the signal in night..it is almost zero, as if someone has switched of the signal…!!!!.

Their customer Service is worst.. the guys their donot know evern basics of mobile service. The strange part is the call center guy says my number is not there in the system. I was thinking since mines is a new connection, it may take some time to get reflected in the call center guys system.. but after 2 months also the call center guy says the same thing.. …wonder wats wrong here…

The Accounts/Bill ing dept is still worst.. they say.. my account itself does not exist, which is strange.. considering that i got this connection from one of the BSNL Customer Care Center…
When i checked with teh Customer Care Center..they say the Accounts dept is wrong…??? What kind of service is this.. ???

I had been a vodafone customer for 3 years without any issue or problem.
After the bad experience woith BSNL, am shifting back to vodafone..
Would not suggest BSNL mobile to anyone in pune.

Ujjwal July 2, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Dear Friends,
BSNL along with Reliance created the Cell Revolution in India in 2003 by making incoming free. This is the reason why you can see cell in hands of MP/Exec till Sweepers, much more pentrated than most of western countries. The signal and reachability of BSNL used to the best and I made call from Auli (Skii resort near Badrinath) in 2004 where there was no inhabitation 15km around!!

All well and good. The Ambaanis who currupted the Indian buerochracy also currupted the BSNL engineers who intentionally made the BSNL the worst (even having the BEST GSM equipments in India), giving benifit to Relliance.

I think Relliance does not pay ‘booty’ any more to BSNL babus, and BSNL is its apathy due to Red Tapism.

God Saves Natialised services.

Rahul November 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM

its 2011 now. Hyderabad
Even now its the Worst Network ever. Coverage is Pathetic, Even if you have full Signal Bars, Calls get dropped within seconds. Customer care sucks big time. You cant really talk for more than 5 mins, Man, i would never recommend BSNL to any one.