The One-Year MBA Program In India

by Vinaya HS on February 20, 2006

in The SP Jain Blog

The one-year management education concept is a recent introduction into the venerable Indian management education system. Until recently, the popular view was that a fruitful business education could be imparted only over a period of two years. IMD, Switzerland, I believe was the pioneer of the one-year format. This was soon adopted by many leading institutes and was soon accepted by the industry as well. And now, the same is slowly but surely making its way into the Indian scenario.

A few of the respected management institutes have introduced the one-year program side-by-side with their regular two-year program. Other newly established institutes are focusing exclusively on their one-year program.

One shouldn’t attempt to compare a two-year program with a one-year program, although there is a strong human tendency to do so. The reason being, each program has its own market (or audience). Popular arguments suggest that a two-year program is better suited for someone who has just passed out of college or has worked for a few short months (a fresher, in common parlance), or for someone who is looking for a potential career shift. A one-year program, on the other hand as the arguments suggest, is better suited for someone who has enough knowledge and the relevant experience in a corporate setting. Now this someone is either looking to switch from technical roles to managerial roles or is looking for a career-leap in the business side of things. “Opportunity Cost,” is often a buzzword associated with a one-year program. All said and done, it’s finally up to what you think is correct for you. Do your research thoroughly and you won’t go wrong.

I am sure that regular readers of this blog would be wondering about all this “gyaan” from out of the blue. There’s a reason. That being, I have accepted an admit into the one-year MBA program being offered at the SP Jain Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai. It also explains why I have been haunting Mumbai regularly and why I it will be my home for the one-year window beginning in the last week of April.

Through this blog, I will highlight my experiences as and when they happen. And if you need more “gyaan” (about anything – admissions, exams, interviews, the whole gamut) please don’t hesitate to ask.

Hope you’re still awake!

Raj February 20, 2006 at 10:40 AM
Lucio February 20, 2006 at 2:41 PM

Best of Luck for your new adventure!

Girish February 20, 2006 at 3:13 PM

Hi Vinaya,
Congratulation an getting the MBA admission.
Good Luck for this endeavour.
Keep the blogs flowing…
even after you move to your MBA course…
We can expect more blogs about yout MBA,
mumbai..etc… na??
Regards,
Girish

Murali February 21, 2006 at 2:25 AM

Congrats Vinay!!
Wish you Good Luck!!
do let me know more details abt the program?? which stream did you choose??

Anoop February 22, 2006 at 11:48 AM

Hi Which stream did u choose man?? let me know and all the best for ur course…

raja March 3, 2006 at 4:27 PM

Congrats Man, I am still awake.

I was reading this blog from Mar3 update. So there were lots of postings to read. Good that I didnot miss to read your decision and your admission to this institute. Does that mean you are quitting your job. Good luck in Mumbai.

-Raja

Vinaya HS March 3, 2006 at 6:02 PM

I’ll be specializing in Information Management.

rash June 28, 2006 at 2:31 PM

Hi,

I have just got the admission call from SPJ one year course in IT. Which branch did you choose? and any idea about how reputed is ‘one year course’ of spjain? I am aware of the fact that 2 yr course is really a reputed one, but need to know the success of 2 year course in the sense what were the ‘roles’ for which last year student go for?? is it simple consultants or big things as well. If you ahve any idea just post it or mail me…will help me in taking the decision

HIMANSHU August 1, 2007 at 12:13 AM

well iwana know about the admissins an all.,,

its good for 1 year mba program

himanshu

angshuman October 30, 2007 at 2:46 PM

good post, indeed !!!

mba education June 3, 2008 at 3:32 AM

As India grows as a successful country then its educational system also grows. Now its universities has a large offers in MBA and masters from all subjects.
So this is another opportunity to study quality subjects abroad.

regards

Estela

pushpendra July 18, 2008 at 7:46 PM

it’s great and i wana admission in MBA. it great opportunity for me

hitesh October 21, 2008 at 7:40 PM

hi
i want to know about 1 year mba (distance) in india.

Jai December 22, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Hi,

Thanks for sharing you experience n this blog. I’m working in IT for 2 yrs after completing my ME. I had few US trips which told me clearly it would be better if I move in techno functional instead of tech alone.

I’m in a oscillaion to go with SDLC MBA or start preparing for regular MBA. Kindly help me out by comparing the scope of both.

If you want me to go for regular, kindly suggest me which exam to take GMAT/CAT/MAT? and how to prepare!!!

Looking for a positive reply from experts.

Appreciate your valid inputs.

Thanks & Regards,
Jai!!!
(Its better to say I don’t know how to do… Instead of acting as if I knew everything!!!)

Shail January 26, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Hi there,

I am IT guy with graduate degree, looking for 1year MBA programm avaiable in mumbai..pls help me out to make some decision.

Samarth Wagh February 1, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Hi Vinaya !

I have completed a hospitality graduate course from Mumbai University with 76 % (distinction).

I wish to take up marketing as a career option. Please advise how well suited is the SP Jain one year program and what are the placements. I have done a six month internship at Taj Mahal Hotel.

regards,

Samarth Wagh

gregrenu February 15, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Established in 1997, St. Gregorious Edu-Guidance is a leading education consultancy services providing exemplary service to students all over India. We deal in Admissions to all major professional courses in Premier Institutes across India. We are your one step solution for all career related needs, it may be MD, MBBS BE, BTech (ALL BRANCHES), , MDS, BDS, BPharm, BArch, MBA, MTech, MS, , PhD or any other courses. We provide personalized career solutions on an individual basis keeping in mind the aspirations of our client as well as the affordability factor.
FOR ALL CAREER RELATED NEEDS CONTACT US :

e-mail :jojishpaily@gmail.com
Contact: +91 9448516637
+91 9886089896, +91 9449009983
080-32416570, 41719562

Raju February 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Great Programme

It will definitely have a remarkable impact on the Indian economy

{ 1 trackback }